Toor dal is an important staple lentil in the Indian diet, it is also healthy, nutritious and rich in protein. We prepare a lentil using various combinatin of dal & vegetable.This recipe is one of such combination – Toor dal and Spinach, both are nutritious and high in protein. This is very useful for entertaining last minitue guests and can be made in less time.
- Toor Dal – 1cup
- Spinach – 100 grm chopped
- Tamarind – Small Lemon size
- Tomato – 1 chopped
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
- Green chillies – 6 chopped
- Garlic – few cloves (peeled)
- Mustard Seeds
- Curry Leaves
- Oil – 2 tsp
Servings :- For 4
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
How to Prepare:-
- Cook Dal and chopped Vegetables (Spinach, Onion, tomato, green chillies) in pressure cooker. Ensure dal and vegetables are placed in seperate vessels while cooking. Allow pressure cooker to whistle 4 to 5 times so that dal will gets cooked
- Parallelly soak tamarind in water
- Once steam is released from cooker, mix dal and vegetables in one container,& smash well. Add salt, turmeric powder, tamarind juice and cook in low flame (add required water depends on consistency) for 6 minutes and keep aside. Before taking dal out of flame add coriander leaves and close the lid.
- Heat oil in pan. Then add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garlic cloves and curry leaves. Allow mustard seeds to crackle and garlic cloves to turn light brown color. Add this as atempering on the cooked dal.
That’s it, Spinach Dal is ready to be served.
How to serve:-
- Telugu people have this especially with white rice along with mango pickle (avakaya). Followed with rasam rice and curd rice. Wow…. wonderful meals!!!!
- You can have with rice flour roti (will soon upload how to prepare this). This is also excellent combination.